Thursday, July 17, 2008

One week down


Today is officially my one week in India and these are my thoughts so far:

I did not come here to become Indian.
I can not and will not become comfortable here.
As much as I love, I hate.
I have already formed a healthy addiction to chai.
The food is never ending spices (breakfast, lunch, or dinner).
Never have I ever seen some color together so vividly.
Abbreviate everything (veg and no veg- thats vegetarian and meat eaters).
10 am California time=10:30 pm Hyderabad time
New perfume=Heavy DEET bug spray
"CP Time" (colored people time) is universal
PDA is only allowed between same sex
1 dollar=40 rupees
Bobbling head=yes/ok
Condensed milk is staple
Always carry sunscreen, bug spray, toilet paper, a trash bag, an umbrella, water, fruit drink and anti-diarrheal
Women toe ring=marriage
Always have naan (lite pita bread mix maybe tortilla like) and water with every meal
Last resort "naheem naheem naheem" (no no no)

I start school on the 21st and I am super excited to start.
Please pray for two of our girls, Jessy and Molly, they are super sick! Already four have gotten sick and gotten better...my time hasn't come yet.
I am excited to start taking yoga daily and get certified!
I am struggling with massive amounts of bug bites.
I have never sweated so much in my entire life.

The Lord is constant and faithful, I feel him in the littles things. I am surrounded by noise and unknown, when all I want is someone to tell me everything will be ok.
Just to go out it is a hassle, everything is posed as a quest and you must have the stamina to go out and then come back home. I am exhausted in a way unlike I have ever felt. BUT, I refuse to settle. I will find rest in the arms of MY GOD...I must.

My roomate and I were saying we can't wait until next month when we love it here and time is going by quickly...I dunno. Today I will hope in hope. I will be renewed in all your words, prayers, and support. Today I am defined by every friend that has ever hugged me. I rest in the nourishment of community.


So I send blessings and thanks. Enjoy today for I am determined to do the same.

5 comments:

Aaron Tucker said...

I'm so proud of you Katrina!

Me and Katie are thinking of you and praying for you all the time!

Love x2,
Aaron (and Katie)

Trace said...

my heart is rejoicing and you are in my thoughts. a great new pair of eyes you've found it seems and I'm glad you are letting them be seen!

way too much love,
T. le

Meaghan Maples said...

Nice sister...
So nice... I love your journey, your struggle, I thrive because you do. I am blessed in your mess... your joy your naan (also a staple in Tanzania, thick Indian community there). Soak up the spices, the sun, the sweat... I understand everything you are saying and wish I was sharing it all with you. Please continue to stay strong and confident in our Lord... in his healing, peace and love.

Katrina Brown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
andrew said...

keep on sharing my friend.

praying for you this morning as it's well into evening where you are.

read psalm 31. i've appreciated it a lot lately.

much peace.

--a