Sunday, August 10, 2008

Beauty is how deep?

Namaste family! This weekend was out first unplanned "relaxing" time. So what do we do, but treat ourselves to Girls day! We headed across town to a beauty parlor. On our way on the bus we are usually treated like celebrities. Constantly given the open seat and asked for our names and why we are in India. The women giggle to each other with each handshake or answer we return to them. Three woman in burkas asked me my name over serious laughs. As one woman went to put her hand to her face, as I do when I cover my mouth from laughing too hard, a stream of bright neon bangles slipped out. I pointed to them and said I loved it! She quickly lowered her head and covered her wrist once again. We began talking and they were so proud of me for knowing the area, where we were going, what we were studying and that we were up on the movies (a HUGE deal here!). I was only allowed to see their eyes, but I was overtaken by how much of their facial expressions I could be read through the slits that their huge brown eyes filled. I wonder how they find themselves beautiful? For us (American culture) "less is more", while here "more is never enough" (emily would love it).
We are welcomed inside the beaut parlor and I will never forget the feeling of safety. It is one of the only WOMEN ONLY areas in India (other than the home/kitchen). A man actually tried to come in and was quickly pushed back outside and then a message was sent outside to see what he could possibly want. I giggled at the foreign scene. Women filled every seat fully covered, either in starch black burkas or CRAZY colorful wedding sari. Either way, my definition of beauty was redefined. Instead of getting ice cream after pedicures and manicures, we covered our feet and hands in henna, got our nose pierced (yah!), and some got their eyebrows threaded (like waxing). They specialized in things we consider unnecessary, like how to wrap a wedding sari or how to put on the most ridiculous amount of jewelery. They have TWO day wedding specials, of completely recoloring your skin (cause white is still right, even more in asia), covering your body in henna and massive amounts of makeup, clothes and jewelry. I complemented one lady after she got her hair done, it was long, silky, jet black with a perfect bump under curl. I quickly and joyful said "You look great, your hair looks beautiful!" She slowly and shyly put her head down and said softly "Thanks" while in the same minute covered it completely returning her body under full burka. Who was defining beauty for this women, her husband? being the only man that gets to enjoy her gorgeous hair? I have held the theory that as women we dress to impress other women, cause honestly guys don't notice (as much as we imagine they do). But in this country, is it all driven by the man's standard of respect and beauty?
We finally left, renewed in our new view of womanhood. But the smiles on our faces were washed away with rain. The paper this morning said we received 15cm in 24 hours! Oh, monsoon season. We had to hid inside a hotel for about two hours until we could get a ride home. They charged triple the amount because they knew we were desperate and they didn't know if they could even make it through the flooded streets. The papers also said 40 precious people passed away just through the beginning of these storms, we are expected to get two more days of it. Please know I AM SAFE.
As we got home my first thoughts were with our kids on south campus, they ALL live in "slums"/ "shanties." I felt so distant and out of control. After a day of being landlocked in our hostel they rains let up for about an hour today and we got on our bikes and petaled our hearts out to South Campus. I had nothing to offer them, not even a blanket, I just had to see for myself if they were ok. My heart was beating so fast and was slowly pieced together as I saw my little Aneil running out to see me. I rang my bike bell and couple more kids came out. They had fires going and food cooking. Every house looked a little more soggy then usual, but they were ok. I asked Aneil if he was ok and he yelled, "Ya teacher!" Thats all I needed. My heart was broken in helplessness, but I have to leave each one of them with God. In the hands of the creator of these very rains. He alone will hold them, warm them, feed them, and love each one of them tonight.

Thank you for your prayers. I have never been so thankful for a dry house, warm clothes, warm food, and a warm bed, and YOU my family. Be blessed today! Sing and dance over each one your possessions, because you should know you are BLESSED beyond reason. Please continue to lift up our kids!

P.s. you know life will be ok, when you still have 4pm chai time and your computer has chai spots filtered all over the keyboard (don't worry I will clean it)

3 comments:

Aaron Tucker said...

When you get home can you, katie, and I get Henna ALL THE TIME?

Also, we should have Chai time.

Also, while I'm SO glad you're in India serving and growing, know that you're missed here in SD and we all are eager to have to you back with us!

Keep seeing these people through the lens of God's love!

Amor,
Tucker

Trace said...

have to say, I needed that blog. It nice to hear where you are and see where you are.

thanks for writing so lively, it sincerely helps as a reminder of who we are, they are, etc.

In Him mos def,,
T.

MLEmary said...

More is more!!!! : )